Saturday, February 26, 2005

First ski trip at cervino, italy

26/02/05



Yeah, today is my first ski experience in my whole life! We have been planning this trip since a month ago but due to some problems, we had to withdraw from this group trip.
Luckily, things turned out differently yesterday, so we (only 4 of us who had to withdraw due to some problems) decided to go ourselves.

We departed from our place at about 6 am. Yes , I had to wake up earlier compared to normal working days but it is worth it!
Anyway, it took us about 3 hour and 45 minutes to reach the cervino – one of the most beautiful Alps in italy. It was -6 degree celcius when we departed from milano. At the alps it was -13 degree celcius!!

We reached at around 10 am in the morning and it took us around half an hour to figure out how to rent boots and what the options we have. After some advice from the local renter who was really nice to us , we decided to go up to the mountain first before deciding if we wanted to rent the ski equipments.
We reached plateau rosa, which is one part of the mountain where most ppl will go there to ski.

Initially, I was not keen to ski at all coz I still have my injured toe. Another reason was the cost of renting and the ski pass are going to cost me a bomb. However, once I reached there, my other group of friends were there already and they were in the ski equipment. One of my friends lent me her equipment to try out, and my toe was not aching when I wore the ski boots! So I decided to try skiing.

I was lucky coz one of my friend’s friend, joseph, was there to teach us.
He was a good teacher and heh, I was talented too!! Hehe, after he taught us verbally on some rules, I went straight up the mountain to ski downwards.
Apparently, I was able to apply what he taught practically and I was doing really well.

Of coz, I fell before I really master the skills.I fell 4 times! Once was when I was going up the mountain and I had no idea when to let go off the ski seat. In the end I fell coz the it was a slope. I tried to brake but in vain, so that was my first time lying flat on the snow.It was a great feeling!!

The second time was while I skied downwards for the first time. I didn’t bent my knees enough, hence, I fell. Hehe, it was not a hard fall coz I know how to fall nicely.The third time I fell was my 2nd time going downwards, yeah, i couldn’t change my direction, hence, I fell. My fourth time was I could not brake in time when I was at the end of the slope.

All in all, I knew how to ski at the end of the day. It was only in 2 hours, I managed to learn how to ski. It was not easy, but heh, I fell in love with skiing and yeah, I admit that I am a fast learner as long as there is a good teacher.
All my other friends had to learn a long time and yet, not all of them can ski as fast as me. I am self-praising my self but heh, I am telling the truth. Ok, I should be modest.
At the end of the day, my whole face was red. This was due to the sun which was shinning so brightly. My face was so pain and red .But, I managed to rescue it, I think so and hope so.

I really appreciate this opportunity for being able to ski and having been blessed someone who is willing to teach me and my friends( though it was more verbally than in action).Lord is great! I was at home last week coz of my toe while all my friends went to rome. This week, I decided to just go ski and I actually did enjoy myself and my toe is still intact.

Life is really full of excitements. Sometimes things may look gloomy at the beginning of the week but it may change at the end of the week, just like the saying that there is always a light at the end of the dark path.

I always learn the to appreciate god and be dependent on god while I am away.
First time was my departure to Singapore to embark on my studies, and now I am all alone in italy. I am certainly a better person now.

It’s 1.13 am here, going to sleep soon after I write some postcards which shows the cervino mountain that I bought today.

I love skiing!!!!!!

No comments: