Monday, March 28, 2005

Roma (26-28/03/05)

26/03/05

We ( 13 of us) arrived at around 7 am , then we split into 2 groups. My group consisted of only 5 of us.
We checked into a backpack hostel then we headed straight to the metro ( same as mrt in Singapore ) to head to Vatican museum.

Vatican museum- the queue was extremely long that I really couldn’t believe my eyes.We queued until around 845 am ( from 815 onwards) and were at the entrance when we found out we were in the wrong direction.Not only us but the whole long queue of ppl.
Hence, we had to queue again from the other direction and this time it took us about 2 hours to reach the entrance.
We managed to enter the museum at around 1030am after we paid the entrance fee of 12 euro.

Basically, Vatican city is a very small area of italy.It consisted only the St peter’s basilica and the Vatican museum itself.
I guess, so far Vatican museum is the biggest in italy. There are a lot of chapels inside and the most famous was the Sistine chapel which housed the best paintings of Michelangelo – the last judgement, the genesis ( on the ceiling), etc.

Raphael best works are also here- He painted a lot of great stuff like moses behind the burning bush, the pact between noah and god , the flood- noah arc, scarification done by moses and so fort.

The museum also housed the tapestry of raphael’s students work- life of Christ jesus,how he was crucified and the resurrection of jesus.

By the end of the whole visit , it was around 1230pm.Then , I headed to st peter’s basilica to view his tomb, and rapheal’s work of st peter’s. It is a very huge church which is magnificent. There is a pathway down to the sulpcural of st peter’s too.

After this visit to Vatican city, we left to other places- castle of st angelo, piazza spagna ( Spanish steps) and finally hard rock café via Veneto.

My legs were wobbling at the end of the whole day- more like my feet, it refused to be fit into my sports shoes anymore!

Hostel- first time I am staying in a backpackers hostel- reason coz it is easter hols and there are no other hotels to book and yeah, I am paying twice the normal rate for it.
I slept basically in a dorm with 9 other guys!!!! And I had to use shared toilets.Really a scary thought, but heh, it sure is a different kind of experience.
At least, they provided breakfast and I get to know a Japanese guy who was staying with me too.He is a swimmer and his name is tomataka.( I only knew about his existence this morning coz my other friend got to know him first) .He gave me a bag of biscuits that he can’t finish and he didn’t wan to bring it back to Tokyo ( he left today to Tokyo, his hometown).

27/03/05

Colosseum was our first destination and we left at around 8 am .Yes, I got up at 630 am and we had an hour of daylight saving- meaning I slept one hour less.
Colosseum is an amazing structure- where the gladiators fought, bull fighting, etc.
The ruins of romes were there too and we saw the ruins.It sure was amazing as the way the whole structure was built is really fantastic.Marbles were used mostly and they had to be lifted high up.
This place is known as the roman forum.
Basically one has to see with his naked eyes to appreciate these historic structures. We headed to circo Massimo, piazza navona where there are 2 fountains – sea gods, and pantheon.
Pantheon is a great historical structure- it was originally a church to house all the Greek gods but was converted to a church after it was given to pope.
There is huge opening at the centre of the church where rain or sun can shine through.
When rain pours down, the church doesn’t flood as there are 22 holes on the grounds that are used for drainage system.Very amazing way of constructing this church!!! I am really amazed that the surrounding structures are not damped.

Thereafter, we headed to Fontana di trevi – wishing fountain.Oh ya, it poured quite heavily through out the day.
I made a wish but hehe, with 5 cents!! Haha, nway we visited this place 3 times as we passed through it while heading to other areas.
I forgot the mention that, we also went to the piazza venezia – where it is a national memorial place.
We also visited st. maria church where moses statue was there- an art by Michelangelo again.
Augustos tomb – it is very rundown , but heh, he the area for his memorial was quite big since he was a great emperor.

Of course we need not go to piazza republica, as we stay around that area.It is an area with another fountain-very nice view at night.

The mouth of truth is at santa maria church- located just right outside the church.
We had lots of photos there after queuing for about 1 hour for it.Yes, we need to queue to just to take photos. Again, inside this church- they did their best to retain its former glory-moses structures are inside it if I didn’t remember wrongly.

After dinner, we headed to hard rock café, wishing fountain and back home again.

28/03/05

Day to go home- we headed out at around 9 am to go to Spanish steps again and thereafter, wishing fountain, piazza novena and finally Vatican city.
We tried to queue to climb up the dome- but after queuing for 2 hours, we decided to forgo it as we need to head back home already.
So we had our last view of the st peter’s basilica- this time, I am able to appreciate more about the various statues as I have read up. There is statue –I think is st peter’s feet which is worn away by kisses of faithful ( I have no idea why).We managed to touch it and yes, there was queue but a fast one.
We went down to the treasury of st peter’s and finally out of the church.

This place is where pope gave blessing and speech during easter day and on Sunday.
A very huge place indeed in the shape of a person’s arms hugging the whole area. This is how the whole area is constructed upon this idea.

Basically, rome is a must go place as every place is unique itself- one will appreciate the arts and skills used to develop this place.
Vatican city is also a place where all the genius of art met- Raphael and michealangelo (the 2 most important painters in history).They , the painters are appointed by pope himself.

Rome is probably the biggest city where it housed all the important paintings, sculptures and amazing buildings of the century. It is also a place where important events happened.

Now it is 1241am- need to sleep now since tomorrow I have work.
p.s. I am now only 6 hours behind Singapore time!

No comments: